Soho attracts the characters in life, it beckons the extroverts, the unique and those who want to change the landscape. The type of people who make us stop, look and listen. Whether they are Soho born, or arrive from distant shores Soho wraps them up and calls them its own.
The founders of West End Drinks, Alex Robson and Howard Raymond, are just this. Sparked by an epiphany, late one night, over a classic gin cocktail the pair set about creating a high quality and beautifully designed spirit.
• ‘The King of Soho’ is a celebration of the life and Soho legacy of Howard’s father the original King of Soho, Paul Raymond.
• Raymond revolutionised the district of Soho, founding iconic clubs such as the Raymond Revuebar and Madam JoJo’s.
• A challenger spirit, Raymond was famous for his risqué shows and for a while he dominated the London entertainment scene encouraging new talent and cultural diversity. Many famous artists performed or debuted at one of his clubs or theatres.
• With this inspiration behind it, the King of Soho London Dry Gin premiered in October 2013; delicately combining citrusy grapefruit with classic juniper, a smooth and perfectly balanced twist on a classic.
• In 2018, to mark the brands 5th anniversary, the King of Soho Variorum Gin was created; a low sugar pink gin, notes of strawberry and chamomile complement the classic juniper and citrus botanicals of the original recipe.
• Brand Essence: CREATIVITY, HEDONISM AND NON-CONFORMITY
• The London district of Soho is a microworld, rich in creativity, fun and modern culture and now in gin.
Celebrating The King of Soho Gin, and Soho life.
Guiacomo Avenia, The bar manager at Jack Solomons Speakeasy on Great Windmill Street.
Hailing from Brisbane, Australia he’s worked his way up starting as a Kitchen Porter.
Giacomo chats to us about his nights out in Soho and cocktails such as The Lydia Lova…
Daragh Soden is a London-based Dubliner, a documentary artist who combines photography with prose, poetry, video and installation.
He was commissioned by The Photographers Gallery in Soho, to present a new body of work focusing on Soho’s reputation.
The Photographers’ Gallery, Shot in Soho Exhibition launches on the 17th October 2019 until 7th February 2020.
Featuring shots of Soho old and new, drawing on the history, myths and characters of this unique district of London.
This year the Village of London Cocktail Week can be found at The Old Truman Brewery, Brick Lane.
There you can indulge in hands-on cocktail-making, immersive experiences, street food and DJs. In the creative heart of this one-stop hub you will find the Schweppes Garden; featuring your favourite spirits perfectly paired with the Schweppes 1783 premium mixer range.
Jamie Stephenson, The King of Soho UK Drinks Ambassador, certainly wears the crown as one of the most awarded bartenders in the UK.
Based in Manchester, over the course of his career he has won five World Championship titles and National Bartender of the Year awards from The Publican Newspaper, CLASS and Drinks International to name but a few.
We’ve been chatting to him about his drinks story and love of photography…
Co-founder, Alex Robson, talks about distilling gin in central London, using traditional methods and a unique recipe.
The King of Soho gin is name after Paul Raymond, the original King of Soho, an entertainment and property tycoon who played a pivotal role in the cultural and social liberation of British society from the 1950s is the inspiration behind the brand.
The King took a trip to Brighton and found some amazing street art, fabulous people and some fabulous places to get your hands on The King of Soho Gin!
Pictured below: No.32 Duke Street – The king of Soho Gin with Fever Tree Tonic World’s End – The King of Soho Gin with London Essence
When Alex met with her good friend, Helen Lederer over a Soho G&T she knew from the off that CWIP was something she had to be involved in!
Helen saw a need for a prize that would champion funny female fiction and Alex understood, she knew that a prize for comedy women writers was something she had to support
A review of the best Gins of 2019 featuring The King of Soho Gin,
Cupid’s Take on a Classic: The King of Soho Pink Martini
We are so pleased to feature on the House of Coco #COCODRINKS: BOOZE NEWS The King of Soho Variorum Pink Gin features as part of their round-up on booze news!
The King of Soho celebrated London Fashion Week by creating the sublime ‘Fashion 75’ Cocktail – bubbles & gin were quite the thing at our 21 Great Windmill Street pop up gin palace.
The King of Soho Variorum Pink Gin features here on GQ.
POP-UP: King of Soho’s Winter Gin Palace Susan Ward Davies and Charlotte Cox report on the King of Soho’s Winter Gin Palace – 2018 Winter Pop Up.
Lizzie Thomson reported on The King of Soho’s 2018 Winter Gin Palace “New Gin pop-up celebrates porn baron known as ‘“The King of Soho”
Get in touch
For any queries or if you would like to write an article or feature a cocktail on the blog, please get in touch via social media using the links below, or email us email@example.com.